Carnegie Library at Mt. Vernon Square | District of Columbia

The Beaux Arts Carnegie Public Library of Washington, D.C. was opened in 1903. The firm of Ackerman and Ross was the principal architect and the Guastavino company was involved in the arches, bridges, and flat work. The Library was also known as the Central Public Library and was the first public desegregated building in the District. In 1972 the new Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library became the central public library and there have been several uses of the Carnegie Library since then. Currently the building houses an Apple store on the first floor, the Historical Society of Washington, D.C. on the second floor, and the Carnegie Gallery with photographs and documents about the building in the basement. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as “Central Public Library.”

Carnegie Library at Mt. Vernon Square | District of Columbia