Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle | District of Columbia

The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle is the seat of the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Washington. The first structure was built in 1840. The current cathedral was designed by C. Grant La Farge in a Romanesque revival style with Byzantine decor; construction began in 1893 and continued until 1913. The Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company did the ceiling in the wedding chapel. The funeral mass for President John F. Kennedy was held here on November 25, 1963. Mother Teresa visited in 1974, Pope John Paul II celebrated mass here in 1979, and Pope Francis visited in 2015. Extensive restoration work was done from 1999 to 2003, repairing the exterior dome, refurbishing mosaics and artwork, and upgrading lighting and sound systems. The Cathedral is listed on the national Register of Historic Places. A virtual tour of this magnificent space is found here: https://www.stmatthewscathedral.org/about/virtual-tour

Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle | District of Columbia