Grace Cathedral | California
Grace Cathedral sits atop Nob Hill. The Episcopal parish began as Grace Church in 1849 and had several locations in the city over the years. A fire resulting from the 1906 earthquake destroyed the church at California and Stockton and the parish moved to a temporary home. In 1907 the site of the ruined Nob Hill home of railroad baron and banker William Henry Crocker was donated to the church. The Gothic design was done by George Bodley in London and Lewis Hobart of San Francisco completed the design after Bodley’s death. Construction on the Cathedral spanned 1910 – 1964, interrupted by wars, the Depression, and need for fundraising. Rafael Guastavino, Junior was responsible for vaulting work that was started in the 1920s and continuing for 20 years.