Guastavino's | New York

Originally called the Blackwell’s Island Bridge, the Queensboro Bridge opened to traffic on March 30, 1909. Designed by architect Henry Hornbostel and engineer Gustav Lindenthal, the main section underneath the bridge consisted of a buff-colored canopy of tile vaults designed by Rafael Guastavino. This beautiful arcade underneath the Bridge served as a year-round marketplace where vendors sold fruits and vegetables and it quickly became known as Bridgemarket. With the onset of the depression, the market closed during the 1930’s and was later used by the New York City Department of Transportation. On November 23, 1973, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the Queensboro Bridge a landmark, including the large areas below the bridge, which were described as notable.

© 2019 Guastavino Alliance