Washington National Cathedral | District of Columbia

The vaulting in the north transept ceiling was finished with Akoustilith tile, a cast stone tile patented in 1916 by the Guastavino family whose firm was responsible for many of the nation’s most historically significant timbrel vaulted tile ceilings and interiors. The tile had significant absorptive qualities that improved the ability for readers and preachers to be heard in worship spaces.

© 2019 Guastavino Alliance